Tuesday 15 April 2014

This Week #5 A Weekend In Amsterdam

I've never been one for last minute trips, I like to have a definite idea of where and what I'm doing and like to sick to a plan. Not very spontaneous, I know, but this past week has been a bit of a whirlwind. I'll cut a long story short, Olly has got a new job which requires him to lead tours for various groups and societies around European cities. Last weekend was his first one and I was thrilled when I was told that I could go with him. The only problem was that I was told on Wednesday and we were leaving on Thursday. Cue mad panic and a rush, but we really did have an amazing time. Here's what we got up to whilst we were away...

I've been to Amsterdam* before so I kind of knew my way around and what was worth going to see. I'm sure that many people are aware of the culture of Amsterdam, but if it's not your scene there are plenty of other things to do. We travelled by coach, leaving Thursday evening, arrived Friday morning and left on Sunday so we had plenty of time to see and do lots of things. If you do want to do the typical Amsterdam like activities, then you won't be short of things to do. A visit to a coffee shop or two and a wander around the Red Light District and your eyes really will have been opened, but rest assured this is all legal in Amsterdam, and you can go on organised tours of these places if you prefer. If you prefer something a little more traditional and cultural then there are plenty of museums and sights such as the Rijksmuseum which is home to the famous "iamsterdam" sign. Also, a visit to Dam Square, Rembrantsplein and Leidesplein are a must if you want to see street performers, beautiful architecture and infamous surroundings. There are thousands upon thousands of places to eat and drink and somewhere to suit every budget, but my favourite place was Chipsy King, if you go there I would definitely recommend the fries with mayo. They were so good, I'm still craving them now! Finally, for accommodation, again there are plenty of places to suit every budget, but we stayed in The Hans Brinker Hotel, which is cheap, cheerful and in a great location for exploring. Also, the bar in the hotel has the cheapest prices in Amsterdam with the best atmosphere. I would definitely stay there again!





This is just a small selection of pictures from the weekend, and even though technically Olly was working and I was just there to help, it really was the best time ever! I just thought it might be nice to share a few of our snaps of our trip. I was hoping to buy some beauty items out there, but there was nothing that I absolutely couldn't get here at home so I didn't both getting anything which was a little disappointing. I'm also going to post an Outfit Of The Day from what I wore on the day that we really explored Amsterdam.

Have you ever been to Amsterdam? Where is your favourite city break destination?

For more information on City Breaks and Festivals, including the trip in the post then visit Outgoing - Link
Bloglovin - Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

*Complimentary Trip

1 comment:

  1. Amsterdam is one of my favourite places! I adore the canals and the flowers and even the bicycles. Plus the people are a lot more down to earth than their Dutch speaking Belgian counterparts :)

    ~ K
    bluehairinbelgium.blogspot.be

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for commenting beauty :)

I love to reply to all of the comments you leave, and I love reading them x