Tuesday 23 July 2013

My Guide To: Moving Out Of Your Parent's

Hello Lovelies, 
I've recently been thinking how great it would be to offer advice to someone who really needs it, and how great it would feel to know that you have helped someone make what could be a difficult decision. So, with that in mind I have decided to start up a new advice section on my blog. 

Todays post is going to be focused on a big decision that I made 2 years ago, and it honestly was the biggest decision I have made in my life so far. Moving out of my Parent's house. There are so many questions that are difficult to answer on your own, and a whole array of things that you might not have even known about because your parent's always dealt with them. Here are my top pieces of advice that I think it is important to know when making this next step:

1: Budget, Budget, BUDGET!
I'm not going to lie, this is the hardest thing to do. Had it not been for my boyfriend (who I moved in with) I would have been in such a financial mess. Thankfully, he is very good at budgeting and has taught me so many things about money. First thing to consider is your rent/mortgage. It's no good looking at your dream property and not being able to afford it. We first decided how much we could afford per month and then looked at what was available within these means. Another thing that is important to look at is the council tax. This can really increase your monthly outgoings so try and find a property that is in a low tax band. Finally see what providers offer the cheapest for internet, electric, gas etc because it's no good paying more for something that you could have got for half the price.

2: Make Ikea your best friend.
There is not a piece of furniture in our flat that wasn't bought from Ikea. I'm sure that most of you will know that Ikea sell pretty much everything, and for bargain prices too. As they cater to all budgets, it's perfect for someone who is moving into their first home and has essentially nothing furniture wise to take with them. It's also worth registering for an Ikea Family Card, as this gets you discounts once you get to the till with all of your items.

3: Say yes to handouts!
I know that a lot of people like to have their own things and like them to be brand new, but there is no harm in accepting a few hand downs from people. We took the sofas from my Mum and Dad's conservatory as they were re decprating and wanted to get rid of them. Our coffee table was given to me by my boss, and our laundry basket was a showroom model from my Dad's work. My point is that whilst everything feels lovely if its brand new, a few second hand items wont hurt.

4: Finally, Don't Rush!
Whilst you may be desperate to move out and gain some independence, you need to have everything sorted 100% before you take the plunge. It's not easy, and it can be a very stressful time, so it is important to have everything in place before taking the next step. Take your time, ask for help and enjoy the experience.

So, I know that is a very long post, but I thought it would be nice to reflect on my experiences and share my advice with you.
If you have anything you would like advice on then feel free to email them to me at retrolove17@hotmail.co.uk or tweet it to me @RetroLoveBeauty, as I would love to make this a regular feature.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thankyou for commenting beauty :)

I love to reply to all of the comments you leave, and I love reading them x